Taking my daughter to football has enhanced my life as a matchgoing fan

What started as a slightly selfish way of doing my parental duties has morphed into an essential bonding experience

By Paul McGreal for When Saturday Comes

There was a moment, a simple enquiry, when I realised that my daughter had successfully been indoctrinated. A journey round the M25 to a match in north London had been halted prematurely, as the car’s engine lost all power, and we spluttered to a halt on the hard shoulder. As my uncle got out to investigate the cause, and with the rest of the Saturday afternoon traffic thundering past at terrifying speed, I hurriedly scooped her out of the car and over the relative safety of the crash barrier.

Stood among the overgrown grass and clutching her favourite teddy, she beckoned me down to her level so she could make herself heard over the passing vehicles and asked a question that made my heart skip with parental affection. “Daddy, are we still going to the football?” Continue reading...

Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

Wiegman’s Lionesses rekindle lost energy to fire spectacular comeback | Jonathan Liew

US owners understand profit but do they appreciate clubs’ tradition and values?

‘Emotional’ Leah Williamson to make first England start in almost a year