Aiden McGeady: ‘I know a lot of people who retired too early’

Former Republic of Ireland winger is eager to find a new club at the age of 37. ‘I enjoy competing. I know I can still play’ Aiden McGeady is one of the most talented Scottish footballing exports of a generation but destined never to be regarded as such. His decision to represent the Republic of Ireland had the strange knock-on effect of deleting his name from conversation regarding the finest products of youth systems – in this case Celtic’s – in his homeland. It could have been a case of enjoying McGeady while he lasted. Now 37 and after a spell at Hibernian was curtailed by injury, he finds himself at a career crossroads. McGeady has the appetite to keep playing but understands his options may be limited. “I know how it looks,” he says. “At my age it’s a hard sell for a manager. ‘Let’s go and sign a 37-year-old who hasn’t really played for a year.’ I’m totally fit now, I was training right up until expiry of my contract at Hibs on 30 June. Continue reading...

Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

Wiegman’s Lionesses rekindle lost energy to fire spectacular comeback | Jonathan Liew

US owners understand profit but do they appreciate clubs’ tradition and values?

‘Emotional’ Leah Williamson to make first England start in almost a year